This is the real thing – genuine Live Rock, shipped in water from the Indo-Pacific. Just like the Live Rock from the good old days … except broken up into little pieces. Rubble, instead of rocks. But don’t let the size fool you — it’s the same material we’ve previously used to demonstrate the benefits of live rock for establishing a new tank.
We’re maintaining and curating this material in small batches, and testing each batch using DNA sequencing so you know exactly what you’re adding to your tank. This offers an unprecedented chance to establish natural levels of biodiversity in your reef tank, without the potential risks of pests and parasites associated with untested Live Rock from unknown sources.
Our Live Reef Rubble is ideal for starting a new saltwater aquarium, or boosting the diversity of an existing tank. This is a unique product with several important benefits for the saltwater aquarium:
- Shipped in seawater from the reef to your tank, to preserve the living communities in the rocks
- Contains functional nitrifying communities with both ammonia-oxidizing and nitrite-oxidizing microbes
- Contains hundreds of different types of microbes from the major families found in mature reef tanks
- Maintained in fish-free tanks to minimize exposure to fish pathogens
- Each batch is tested by DNA sequencing to confirm it’s free of parasites and pathogens
- Includes a certificate of analysis so you know exactly which microbes you’re adding to your tank
What Live Reef Rubble is NOT: This material is NOT intended for aquascaping. Each batch contains multiple small pieces of rubble (1-3″ in length at most) that are intended to seed your reef. You don’t buy it for the rock itself — you buy it for the diverse communities of microbes (Bacteria & Archaea), invertebrates, and coralline algae growing in and on the rocks.
Live Reef Rubble is sold in 200 g (7 oz) portions. This portion is appropriate to seed an aquarium up to 40 gallons, and is expected to establish a diverse and balanced microbial community within two weeks. Larger tanks will require either multiple portions (or a longer time) to achieve similar communities.
Live Reef Rubble is full of living things, so we ship it like live corals: in insulated shipping boxes with heat or cold packs. You can choose overnight or 2-day shipping during checkout.
This is a natural product so the product you receive will look similar, but not identical to, the images shown. Because of the nature of this material we cannot accept returns for any reason, and all sales are final.